c/o Joannie Clements
292 Palmer Street, Apt C1
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Tel. +1 (714) 319 3193
Joannie Clements, CML Patient – Co-founder / Primary Contact / Advocate
Gail Goodell Munzing MBA, RN, OCN – Group Co-Facilitator
Jessica Kozuki MSN, AOCNP, NP-C, AOCNS – Group Co-Facilitator
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION:
The CMLBUSTER-specific mission is to "battle CML on a daily basis, provide CML patients and their families with support, empowerment, hope and help and present a united front while advocating for a full and abundant life".
Founded in November 2003, the CML Busters began with eight CML Patients and their families and caregivers and have met consistently and expanded on a monthly basis since that time. Members attend from hundreds of miles away and recognize that this “CML peer-run hands-on” family support group unique for the region. Shared experiences, knowledge, expertise in living with CML and mutual support are cornerstones of this program. The CML patients represent all the current treatment protocols in the US (Gleevec, Sprycel, Tasigna, Bosulif, Ponatinib, Iclusig and stem cell transplant). Additionally, some members are exploring treatment-free remission trials.
The CML BUSTERS, a recognized independent CML specific family support group of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, adheres to the LLS mission of: curing (CML) and improving the quality of life of patients and their families.
KEY OBJECTIVES AND INITIATIVES:
Through these “hands-on” peer-to-peer monthly meetings, our objective is to advocate for the best possible treatments and care for CML patients and their families.
Specifically, this group:
- Offers peer support through monthly face-to-face group meetings
- Provides a unique support system especially for the newly-diagnosed, patients changing protocols and for those facing any challenge along the CML journey
- Provide current and reliable information on CML treatment protocols including side effects and side effect management, dosage, access to treatment, local CML specialists, interacting with physicians and pharmacists, insurance, legal and employment issues
- Provides positive role models for living successfully with CML
- Advocate locally and nationally for access to care for all CML patients
- Members have participated in:
130 (status: Feb 2016)