Max Family Society Malaysia (Max Family) is a registered patient support group for blood and rare cancers.
We believe cancer treatment involves more than routine medical care. Through our multifaceted support, we embrace each individual in the community to ensure the cancer journey is never a lonely path.
It was started by 10 courageous Chronic Myeloid Leukemia patients and caregivers in 2006 with the support of The Max Foundation.
Today Max Family is empowered by cancer patients, caregivers, healthcare providers, and volunteers.
Cancer touches everyone. Our future together.
Cancer patients, caregivers, healthcare providers (to inc the government, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, other government bodies), NGOs, and volunteers.
Ways of communication with constituency:
Physical through forums, meetings, workshops.
Digital platforms such as social media (FaceBooK, Instagram), emails, WhatsApp, SMS, website, zoom meetings.
Organizational objectives and key programs
Our organizational objectives are:
- Informational & Emotional Support: We organize Let’s Sama-Sama patient-doctor gathering to increase patients’ understanding about their disease and treatment goals. Patients will be informed of the importance of treatment compliance, in turn leading to optimizing treatment outcomes. Experiences sharing among patients during the gathering can act as a form of strong emotional support as patients relate to each other and realize that they are not alone.
- Financial Support: Getting access to treatments is the basic right of everyone. At Max Family Society Malaysia, we are doing our best within our capacity to provide financial assistance to patients whose travel to hospitals is hindered by limited financial resources. The support available depend on the donation contributed by the public.
- Public Awareness Initiatives: Although Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) is fairly treatable, CML survivors still suffer from social stigma. Society can be unfamiliar with CML, leading to ignorance, stereotyping, and discrimination. We aim to change public perception towards CML to address guilt, shame, and fear experienced by CML survivors and the people around them.
Our key programs are:
- Let’s Sama-Sama workshop – patient Support sessions between physicians, patients & caregivers conducted via online platforms focussing on educational & scientific aspects of CMLS.
- Peer to Peer Sessions – online support sessions led by patient leaders for patients & caregivers focusing on emotional and social aspects of CML.
- Annual general meeting.
- Appreciation efforts for physicals, pharmacists, nurses.
- Learning workshops with NGSo on aspects such as fundraising, advocacy skills, to name a few.